My doctoral research I was discovering resilience pathways of community forestry, with case study in the Philippines. I focused on multifunctional resilience of households in indigenous and non-indigenous communities.
As post-doctoral research I have been engaged in two major projects (a) Food Security Impacts of Industrial Crop Expansion in Sub-Sahara Africa (FICESSA), and (b) Climate change adaptation capacity development processes in Southeast Asia. In the food security project, I worked on resilience, vulnerability and survey design and implementation in Africa. In the climate change adaptation project I have worked on qualitative approach in which we recognize the priorities of local stakeholders and urgency of different sectors that are affected by climate change and modelling on human health impacts caused by heat.
2020- Project Assistant Professor, Tokyo College, the University of Tokyo
2019-2020 Project Researcher at Institute for Future Initiatives (IFI), the University of Tokyo
2019- Science Officer at Future Earth Global Hub, Japan
2016-2018 Project Researcher at the Integrated Research System for Sustainability Science (IR3S), the University of Tokyo
2011-15 Ph.D. in Sustainability Science at Sustainability Science Global Leadership Initiative Program and Natural Environmental Science Department at the University of Tokyo
2010-11 Research Assistant at Environmental Monitoring Laboratory, National Institute of Geological Sciences, The University of the Philippines
2009-10 Office Manager at Sumiden International Trading Company, Poland
2005-07 Japanese Culture and Language Special Program, Faculty of Humanities, Nicolaus Copernicus University, Poland
2004-09 MSc. in Environmental Science at The Faculty of Earth Sciences of the Nicolaus Copernicus University
1. Jarzebski, M.P., Ahmed, A., Boafo, Y.A., Balde, B.S., Chinangwa, L., Saito, O., von Maltitz, G., Gasparatos, A. 2019. Food security impacts of industrial crop production in sub-Saharan Africa: a systematic review of the impact mechanisms. Food security (accepted, in press)
2. Helen, Jarzebski M.P., Gasparatos, A., 2019. Land use change, carbon stocks and tree species diversity in green spaces of a secondary city in Myanmar, Pyin Oo Lwin. PLOS ONE https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0225331
3. Setiawati, M.D., Jarzebski, M.P. Fukushi, F. 2019. Heat Vulnerability Index development and application in Medan City, Indonesia. Integrated research on disaster risks: contributions from the Integrated Research on Disaster Risk (IRDR) young scientists programme. Springer (accepted, in press)
4. Ahmed, A., Jarzebski, M.P., Gasparatos, A, 2018. Using the ecosystem service approach to determine whether jatropha projects were located in marginal lands in Ghana: implications for site selection. Biomass and Bioenergy 114, 112–124.
5. Gasparatos, A., von Maltitz, G.P., Johnson, F.X., Romeu-Dalmau, C., Jumbe, C.B.L., Ochieng, C., Mudombi, S., Balde, B.S., Luhanga, D., Lopes, P., Nyambane, A., Jarzebski, M.P., Willis, K.J., 2018. Survey of local impacts of biofuel crop production and adoption of ethanol stoves in southern Africa. Nature Scientific Data 5, 180186.
6. Johnson Nyambane, A., von Maltitz, G., Luhanga, D., Jarzebski, M.P., Balde, B.S., Gasparatos, A., F.X., 2018. Impacts of biofuel crop production in southern Africa: land use change, ecosystem services, poverty alleviation and food security. ESPA Policy Pract. Br.
7. Gasparatos, A., Romeu-Dalmau, C., von Maltitz, G.P., Johnson, F.X., Shackleton, C., Jarzebski, M.P., Jumbe, C., Ochieng, C., Mudombi, S., Nyambane, A., 2018. Mechanisms and indicators for assessing the impact of biofuel feedstock production on ecosystem services. Biomass and bioenergy 114, 157–173.
8. Karki, M, Gasparatos, A, Senaratna Sellamuttu, S, Kohsaka, R, Thaman, R, Leimona, B, Opgenoorth, L, Han, KH, Magni, P, Saito, O, Talukdar, G, Zadegan, SS, Pandit, R, Hyakumura, K, Isa, SS, Lasmana, FPS, Brodie, J, Davies, K, Baral, H, Rawat, G, Uchiyama, Y & Jarzebski, M.P. 2018, Setting the scene: biodiversity and ecosystem services in the Asia-Pacific region. in M Karki, S Senaratna Sellamuttu, S Okayasu & W Suzuki (eds), The IPBES regional assessment report on biodiversity and ecosystem services for Asia and the Pacific. Intergovernmental Science-Policy Platform on Biodiversity and Ecosystem Services (IPBES), Bonn, Germany, pp. 3-83.
9. Jarzebski, M.P., Tumilba, V., Yamamoto, H., 2016. Application of a tri-capital community resilience framework for assessing the social–ecological system sustainability of community-based forest management in the Philippines. Sustainability Science 11, 307–320.
10. Khew, Y.T.J., Kudo, S., Jarzebski, M.P., 2016. The Efficacy of Voluntary Certification Standards for Biodiversity Conservation. Policy Matters 2016: Certification And Biodiversity.
11. Jarzebski, M.P., Kudo, S., 2016. The ecological domain in the sustainability science research and education. Ecol. Quest. 24, 65–74.
12. Khew, Y.T.J., Jarzebski, M.P., Dyah, F., San Carlos, R., Gu, J., Esteban, M., Aránguiz, R., Akiyama, T., 2015. Assessment of social perception on the contribution of hard-infrastructure for tsunami mitigation to coastal community resilience after the 2010 tsunami: Greater Concepcion area, Chile. Int. J. disaster risk Reduct. 13, 324–333.
13. Jarzebski, M.P., Nienartowicz, A., Deptula, M., Bubnicki, J., Domin, D.J., 2010. Past, current and potential resources of carbon and above-ground plant biomass in the landscape with heaths in some selected areas of the Tuchola Forest. Ecol. Quest. 9–27.
Jarzebski, M.P., Ahmed, A., Karanja, A., Boafo, Y.A., Balde, B.S., Chinangwa, L., Degefa, S., Saito, O., Gasparatos, A. 2019. Linking industrial crop production and food security in sub-Saharan Africa: local, national and continental perspectives. Sustainability Science in Africa Vol 1: Insights from West and Central Africa, Springer (accepted, in press)
Jarzebski, M.P., 2016. Participatory Mapping and Problem Ranking Methodology in the Research of Sustainable Communities – Workshop with Indigenous People under Community-Based Forest Management Program in the Philippines., in: Sustainability Science: Field Methods and Exercises. Springer, pp. 177–197.
Jarzebski, M.P., 2019. “4. Forests are under threat, with global consequences” and “7. Biodiversity – threatened guardian of earth’s resilience”, 10 New Insights in Climate Science 2019, Future Earth.