Recruitment Information for Project Researcher, Tokyo College
Tokyo College is a new institute established in February 2019 at the University of Tokyo. Tokyo College promotes a brand new system for collaboration between members of the University with people from across the globe, to discuss and create a shared vision of an ideal future and to take action together to pursue its realization. Under the central research theme “The Earth and Human Society in 2050” we invite leading scholars, promising young researchers and influential intellectuals from overseas, making full use of the University’s international academic network, and create a platform for collaboration that involves scholars, staff and students from across the University, aiming to generate new knowledge that will help shape our future. Knowledge created by these collaborations will be delivered to the public through Tokyo College lectures.
Tokyo College is recruiting several Project Researchers who will pursue academic activities and contribute to the management of Tokyo College.
1. Job Title
The appointment starts as soon as possible after the decision of employment (no later than April 1st, 2020) and is for three years without option for renewal.
3. Probationary Period
Initial six months, with the same compensation and benefits.
4. Job Description
Project Researchers are expected to:
- conduct their own research relating to one or more of the focus themes listed in “5. Field of Expertise” and support interdisciplinary collaboration both inside and outside the University of Tokyo,
- organize Tokyo College events such as research conferences, seminars, and public lectures,
- disseminate information on Tokyo College’s daily research activities via the Tokyo College official website, and
- keep in daily communication with leading scholars and influential intellectuals invited to Tokyo College.
5. Field of Expertise
Tokyo College contributes to the realization of a sustainable and inclusive future through interdisciplinary research collaborations under the research theme “The Earth and Human Society in 2050.” Applicants’ field of expertise should be related to one of the following research focuses.
A. Digital Revolution and the Future of Humanity
B. Tackling the Planetary Boundaries through Interdisciplinary Approaches
C. Japan Viewed from Inside and Outside
D. Humanities in 2050 - World Philosophy, World History and World Literature
- Necessary skills in a related field (master’s degree or equivalent is desirable)
- Good communication skills in Japanese and other languages such as English and Chinese
7. Working Days
Five working days per week, 7 hours 45 minutes per day
* Part-time work negotiable.
8. Working Hours
Normal working hours are from 9:00 AM until 5:45 PM (including a one-hour break). Working hours may be made more flexible by adopting the discretionary labor system (exemption system) for this position at the discretion of the employee.
* We also welcome short-time workers.
Saturdays, Sundays, Japanese statutory public holidays, year-end and New Year holidays (December 29 through January 3), annual paid vacation, sick leave (paid), special vacation (paid).
10. Compensation & Benefits
- Monthly gross salary is around JPY 360,000, depending on seniority or expertise, plus benefits.
- Commuter allowance: maximum JPY 55,000 per month.
- Social Insurance: Eligible for MEXT* Mutual Aid Association membership, employees’ pension, unemployment insurance, and workers’ accident compensation insurance. (*MEXT: Japan’s Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science and Technology)
- Relocation support for researchers from overseas: Tokyo College will provide support including obtaining a working visa and finding accommodation.
* Conditions change for part-time or short-time workers.
11. Place of Work
Hongo Campus (7-3-1 Hongo, Bunkyo-ku, Tokyo, 113-8654 Japan)
12. Application Deadline
5 PM on October 18, 2019 (Japan Standard Time)
13. Application Materials (English and/or Japanese)
Submit your application materials (PDF files) by email. Please be sure to confirm that you receive a confirmation email from the Tokyo College Secretariat.
- University of Tokyo Standard Resume Format (Please download from https://www.u-tokyo.ac.jp/en/about/jobs.html and provide your institutional email address)
- Publication list (Please specify refereed or non-refereed for articles)
- Summary of your past research achievements (no more than 1 page/A4 or letter size)
- Summary of your future goals at Tokyo College (no more than 1 page/A4 or letter size)
- Names and email addresses of two people who can recommend you for the position
Tokyo College Secretariat
15. Selection Process
All applications will be screened, and only those applicants deemed qualified will be scheduled for an interview (on-site or via video).
- Submitted documents will not be returned.
- Travel costs incurred during the selection process will not be paid.
- Applicants who are currently enrolled at universities/graduate schools shall lose their status as students if they are accepted for the position and start their work at Tokyo College.
- A maximum of JPY 500,000 per annum will be provided as research funds which can be used to cover research related expenses including purchase of books or reference material, travel expenses, etc.
- The University of Tokyo is committed to gender equality.