Visa for Visitors
Contact: Research Support Team
I. Short-Term Visit (90 days or less)
1. Visitors from countries or regions for visa exemption
No visa is necessary to enter Japan unless the visitor receives rewards or salaries (excluding travel expenses) during their stay in Japan.
2. Visitors from other countries or regions
A short-term visa is necessary to enter Japan. Follow the procedures below.
- Send a copy of your passport and itinerary to Research Support Team at least one month before the day you plan to enter Japan.
- Tokyo College Secretariat issues and sends documents which you need to submit to Japanese Embassy or Consulate-General in your home country.
- Submit them with other necessary documents to the Japanese Embassy or Consulate-General with jurisdiction over your place of residence.
II. Long-Term Visit (more than 90 days)
Visitors who stay longer than 90 consecutive days in Japan or receive rewards or salary (excluding travel expenses) must obtain a visa. Most of the visitors obtain a "Professor Visa", even if they do not possess professorship.
- Submit a copy of your passport, your face photo (.jpg format), and an application for Certificate of Eligibility (CoE) , the latest CV to Research Support Team at least three months before the day you plan to enter Japan.
- Research Support Team applies for a CoE on your behalf.
- Once the CoE is issued by the Immigration Bureau (about one month after the application), Tokyo College Secretariat sends you the certificate.
- Submit the certificate and other necessary documents to the Japanese Embassy or Consulate-General with jurisdiction over your place of residence. Visa will be normally issued within two weeks later excepting some special cases.
- The CoE is valid for three months from the day of issuance. You must enter Japan while it is valid.
- All foreigners who stay in Japan for more than 90 days, whether they live in temporary address or at a hotel, must register at the City Hall of your residence after entering Japan.
If you need more information, visit the website of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.
Last updated : December 07, 2020