Labor Insurance - Tokyo College

Labor Insurance


Rosai Hoken (Workers' Accident Compensation Insurance)

Injury, illness, disability, and death which occur at work or while commuting to and from work are covered by a national insurance scheme called Workers' Accident Compensation Insurance (Rosai Hoken). All Japanese companies (universities) must take out this insurance. The insurance covers every worker employed by a company (university), including part-time and temporary workers, regardless of their residential or visa status. If you do fall ill or are injured while working or commuting to work, or even though you are not sure whether your injury or illness can be covered by Rosai Hoken, first talk to Tokyo College Secretariat. Please remember that if your injury or illness is acknowledged as work-related, the all related medical expenses will be covered by Rosai Hoken and you won’t be charged for your medical bills until your treatment is completed. Meanwhile, you will be required to pay 30% of your medical expenses if your injury or illness was not acknowledged as work-related.

Your injury or illness during your business trip is also acknowledged as work-related by letting the Tokyo College Secretariat know before the trip. On the other hand, if you go on a business trip without any prior notice, the trip is regarded as your "private trip". Please don't forget to submit your travel application well before your departure.

※CAUTION: It is not UTokyo but the Labor Standards Inspection Office that decides whether or not your claim justifies compensation.

Last updated : October 02, 2020