Please follow the procedures below:
1. Notify a moving-out day and a new address to Tokyo College Secretariat
Decide on a moving-out date and let the Tokyo College Secretariat (and landlord) know at least one month in advance. The period that you must do this with the landlord is written in your rent agreement.
You are also required to inform Tokyo College Secretariat of your new address as well as a new commuting route at least within 15 days after the moving-out day.
2. Gas, Water/Sewage, Electricity/Internet, Mobile phone
You need to contact utility vendors to shut down the service. Staff from vendors will visit your apartment on the inspection day, you can pay the final fee in cash. Please don't forget to cancel your contract with the Mobile phone company and Internet Service Provider as well.
3. Schedule a Move-out Inspection
The inspection is usually held right before you hand over the keys. Usually you need to return the keys at the end of the inspection.
4. Clean up and put back
You are usually charged at least a minimum cleaning fee no matter how much you clean up your apartment. However, if the room is badly damaged or dirty and in need of repair, additional fees may be required. If you leave anything, even a piece of trash, you might be charged extra for disposing of the trash. Disposing of furniture and appliances, perhaps you can find someone who will accept it. Usually you have to arrange for second-hand shops or recycle centers run by city hall/ward office to take them away for a fee.
5. File a moving-out notification
You need to file a moving-out notification (転出届 tenshutsu todoke) with city hall or your ward office you have been registered in order to terminate your residency from the city.
6. File change of postal address notices
You need to file a change of address with the post office in order to make your postal mails to be delivered to your new address. You should also notify your bank, credit card companies, internet provider, and any other vendors of the change.
7. Move-out inspection and returning keys
You have an inspection and all keys you received from the realtor when you moved in need to be returned. If you return less, you will be charged a fee to change all of the locks.
Remark: To move out from the International Lodge, you need to submit a termination form to the lodge janitor at least two weeks in advance. You don’t need to inform utility vendors to shut down the services.
Other necessary procedures (Leaving Japan)
1. Japanese Bank Account
We recommend you leave your Japanese bank account with enough balance for a while even after you leave Japan. This is because your deposit will be refunded to your bank account after any unpaid rent, costs for repairing damages, and the cleaning fee are deducted. If it was a no deposit type apartment, any repair and cleaning fee will be directly debited from your bank account.
2. Contact Information after Resignation
Please fill out the "Contact Information after Resignation" sheet (leave any parts you are not sure blank) and submit it to the Tokyo College Secretariat at least one month in advance.
3. File a moving-out notification
You need to file a moving-out notification (転出届 tenshutsu todoke) with city hall or your ward office you have been registered in order to terminate your residency from the city. Otherwise you will be charged local tax even after you leave Japan.
4. File change of postal address notices
You need to file a change of address with the post office in order to make your postal mails to be delivered to your new address. If you move out of Japan, Tokyo College will receive your future postal mail on your behalf and forward them to you for one year. If you move within Japan, you should also notify your bank, credit card companies, internet provider, and any other vendors of the change.
5. Individual Number (Notification) Card
- Those who return to your home country with no plan to return to Japan: Return your "Individual Number Card" or "Individual Number Notification Card" at your local municipality.
- Those who have a plan to return to Japan in the future: Your "Individual Number Card" will be returned with a stamp on the front side of your Card. So, please show your Card when you apply for residence registration at your local municipality in the future.
6. National Health Insurance / Pension Program
Please see the "Leaving Tokyo College (Research and Administrative matters)" webpage.
Last updated : October 20, 2020