Getting Married in Japan - Tokyo College

Getting Married in Japan

1. To get legally married in Japan

It is possible to get legally married in Japan even if one or both of you are not Japanese citizens. When getting married in Japan, it is necessary to prove that you meet the requirements set by the law of your own country. Please go to the Embassy or Consulate of your country to obtain one of the following certificates.

・USA: Affidavit of Competency to Marry
・Canada: Affidavit
・France: Certificat de capacite a mariage
・UK: Certificate of No Impediment

If you are from country not listed above, please contact the Embassy or Consulate of your own country.

Once you get this certificate, you need to fill out a Registration of Marriage Form (Kon-in Todoke) which needs to be signed (stamped with hanko) by two witnesses. You can get this form at your local City Office, and hand it in there along with the above mentioned certificate, your passport, Resident Card, certificate of Family Register (Koseki tohon) for Japanese nationals, and any other documents they might request.

You can then get a certificate or declaration of marriage (Kon-in Todoke Juri Shomei-sho), if you need to declare it to your country's Embassy or Consulate. This document as well as a Marriage Certificate issued by the authorities of your country are required if you wish to change your visa status to Spouse of Japanese National, Long Term Resident, Spouse of Permanent Resident, Dependent, etc.

2. Visa for your spouse

If your spouse needs to obtain dependent status of residence, please let Tokyo College Secretariat know that well in advance. An original copy of the marriage certificate will be required to apply your spouse’s certificate of eligibility.

The following procedures are almost the same as yours.

3. Health Insurance & Pension Plan for your spouse

In the case that you support your spouse, the spouse is eligible for coverage under the Kyosai health insurance plan and pension plan of Category III. However, her/his annual salary has to be 1,300,000yen or less. We will prepare necessary documents to enroll your spouse in the Kyosai health insurance and pension plan.

4. Paid Leave for Marriage

When you plan to marry and hold your wedding ceremony, travel and engage in other events considered necessary with regard to the wedding, special leave of up to five consecutive days shall be granted in the period beginning from five days before the wedding day to one month after the wedding day.

Last updated : April 21, 2020